Residential-based Business

To operate a business from your residence, you will need to obtain a Home Occupation and Business License Permit. Home occupations are permitted in all residential districts and shall comply with the following (Section 18.06.025 (F)):

  • Eligible Employees. Residents of the dwelling and one non-resident employee may be employed on site or report to work at the site of a home occupation. This limitation also applies to independent contractors.
  • No Inconsistent Activity.  There shall be no interior or exterior activity related to the home occupation that interferes with or is detrimental to residential use of adjacent property.
  • Entirely Within.  A home occupation shall be conducted entirely within a building, either the main residence or an accessory building, and shall occupy no more than five hundred square feet of floor area.  No outdoor storage of materials or supplies shall be allowed in conjunction with the home occupation.
  • No Visibility.  The existence of a home occupation shall not be apparent beyond the boundaries of the site, and no home occupation shall involve the use of a sign, nor the display of products visible from the street.
  • No On-site Retail.  The home occupation shall not involve on-site retail business, interior or exterior alterations, nor construction features not normally found in dwellings. Retail business operating entirely by mail are permitted. 
  • Traffic.  A home occupation shall not create pedestrian, automobile, or truck traffic detrimental to property in the vicinity. Visitor vehicle trips to the home occupation such as for customers, clients, vendors, or suppliers, are limited to one visitor vehicle at a time, with no more than two occurrences per day. Incidental traffic associated with deliveries may take place. 
  • Parking. Parking shall be provided on site for any employee of the home occupation. 
  • Non-Priority Use. Home Occupations shall not be considered Coastal Act Priority Uses, as that term is defined in the Local Coastal Land Use Plan. 
  • Business License. Prior to the issuance of a business license for a home occupation, the applicant shall submit to the planning director a written description of the operational characteristics of the proposed home occupation.  The planning director shall determine that the proposed home occupation complies with the requirements of this section.  Decisions of the planning director may be appealed to the planning commission by the applicant or by any interested party
  • Violations. Violations of the provisions of this section or other city requirements shall be enforced according to Title 4 of the Municipal Code. Nothin in Chapter 18.06.025 limits the City's authority to enforce violations of the Municipal Code pursuant to Title 4 of the Municipal Code.