To help protect the health and safety of the community, the Building Division enforces regulations related to building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical installations; accessibility; and energy compliance. In the event of an emergency or disaster, it is also the Division's responsibility to perform damage assessments of all structures.
City Hall and the Permit Counter are open Monday – Thursday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Appointments with Building and Planning Division staff are recommended. Staff also process electronic submittals. Contact information follows:
1. New over the counter/minor permits submittals: For over the counter building permits and those that require minor plan review and coordination with other departments, such as: reroofing, window replacement, water and furnace heater replacement, bathroom and kitchen remodels, electric, plumbing, mechanical permits and others, submit your application and plan sets via email to Benjamin Corrales, email@example.com.
2. New Residential/Commercial, interdepartmental plan review: For new buildings, ADUs, or mayor residential remodels, or tenant improvements, please contact Benjamin Corrales at (650) 712-6660 or send him an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up an appointment. You can also send your permit application and files via email email@example.com
3. Completed Projects: If your project is complete, inform the City that you are no longer working and will need a final inspection. Please call our Inspection Hotline at (650) 726-8794, at least 48 hours in advance to allow preparations for an in-person tour of the new structure.
4. Projects under construction: Please call our Inspection Hotline at (650) 726-8794 for inspections at least 48 hours in advance to guarantee the inspection. Our inspection list is posted online the day before the inspections in our website after 4:00PM (Building Inspection List). If you have any questions please email the inspector at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Permit fees payment: For new buildings, ADUs, residential remodels, tenant improvements and all those that require plan review, a plan check fee is collected during intake. Plan review starts after plan check fees have been paid. Final building permit fees will be calculated after permit approval and emailed to applicant.
Via check: Please mail or drop off a check (lockbox is located outside City Hall main entrance door) payable to City of Half Moon Bay, include permit number (provided by staff), in check memo and address the envelope to Building Permit Technician. Check should be payable to City of Half Moon Bay.
Via phone: Please call Alyssa at 650-435-8260, Monday through Thursday – 9:00AM to 3:00PM (except lunch time). Leave a voicemail if no one is available at the moment, we will be sure to call you back. Don’t forget to indicate the permit and phone contact number to call you back.
In person: City Hall is open to the public from Monday through Thursday. Please ask for our Administrative Assistant when coming to City Hall to make a payment.
If you have specific questions about these matters, please contact Benjamin Corrales, Permit Technician (650-712-6660), or Joe Butcher, Community Preservation Specialist (650-726-8285, or the Building and Public Works Inspector, (650) 750-2006