Applying for a Building Permit
Building Permits: Benjamin Corrales, Building Permit Technician, is accepting building permit applications online (by filling out the building permit application, see link below this paragraph), and at the City Hall Counter. Appointments are recommended: firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 712-6660.
How To Apply
- Complete a Building Permit Application (PDF), and email it to email@example.com
- If your permit application is an over-the-counter type, we will get back to you as soon as possible with instructions on how to make payment and obtain your permit card.
- If your permit requires plan review, include associated files in your email, such as architectural, civil, structural plan set, structural calculations, T24, soils report (if required).
- After intake is processed, you will receive information on how to pay plan check fees. Refer to our current here: Master Fee Schedule (FY23/24)
- After the intake process and plan check fees taken care of, your permit will go for plan review to different departments, depending on the scope of work. It usually takes about ten business days after every plan review, to obtain approval or plan review comments of your application.
Planning Inquiries and Permits
Call 650-726-8270 for an appointment or to leave a message for a Planner.
Plan Checks are performed to ensure projects are designed in compliance with applicable building codes and standards. Your plans may need to be reviewed by (depending on the scope of work), besides Building, by Planning, Public Works, Coastside Fire Protection District, Coastside County Water District.
Review and complete the Under Revision - Submittal Checklist (PDF) prior to stopping by City Hall. Please allow at least 10 business days to process. You will be notified of the status when ready.
Building permits are required to build, enlarge, alter, remove, demolish, or repair a structure in the City of Half Moon Bay. This includes everything from houses and garages to commercial construction, tenant improvements to signs.
Electrical permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, existing service relocation, service upgrades as well as fixed appliances and equipment connections.
Solar Permits (PV Systems)
Solar Permits are required for the installation of solar panels / Photovoltaic Systems. View the Solar Photovoltaic System Guidelines (PDF).
Mechanical permits are required for the installation and repair of heating, ventilating, cooling and refrigeration systems.
Plumbing permits are required for the installation, removal, alteration, or replacement of any plumbing, gas or drainage piping work or any fixture or water heating equipment in a building or premises.
Please refer to the Building Inspection page.