Applying for a Building Permit

Building Permits: Ben Corrales, Permit Technician, is accepting building permit applications online (by filling out the building permit application, see link below this paragraph), and at the City Hall Counter. Appointments are recommended: or 650-712-6660.

How To Apply

To apply for a permit for any structural changes, any additional square footage to an existing structure, or any items specified above, you need to:

Building Inspection

 Please refer to the Building Inspection page.

Planning Inquiries and Permits

Call 650-726-8270 for an appointment or to leave a message for a Planner.

Plan Checks

Plan Checks are performed to ensure projects are designed in compliance with applicable codes and standards. Your plans may need to be reviewed by Planning, Fire, Coastside County Water District, Police, and Building

Review and complete the Submittal Checklist (PDF) prior to stopping by City Hall. Please allow at least 10 business days to process. You will be notified of the status when ready.

Building Permits

Building permits are required to build, enlarge, alter, remove, demolish, or repair a structure in the City of Half Moon Bay. This includes everything from houses and garages to commercial construction, tenant improvements to signs.

Electrical Permits

Electrical permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, existing service relocation, service upgrades as well as fixed appliances and equipment connections.

Solar Permits (PV Systems)

Solar Permits are required for the installation of solar panels / Photovoltaic Systems. View the Solar Photovoltaic System Guidelines (PDF).

Mechanical Permits

Mechanical permits are required for the installation and repair of heating, ventilating, cooling and refrigeration systems.

Plumbing Permits

Plumbing permits are required for the installation, removal, alteration, or replacement of any plumbing, gas or drainage piping work or any fixture or water heating equipment in a building or premises.

  1. Ben Corrales

    Permit Technician

  2. Building Inspection Hotline

    Physical Address
    501 Main Street
    Half Moon Bay, CA 94019