Disposable Foodware Ordinance
Want to be Foodware Aware? Join the County of San Mateo’s Foodware Aware Team for a Webinar and Vendor Expo: 5/26/21, 9-10:30am to learn more about the City of Half Moon Bay’s new Disposable Foodware Ordinance. Meet foodware vendors, hear from inspirational speakers, and learn about resources available to help restaurants and other food facilities operating in Half Moon Bay comply with the new ordinance.
RSVP here: hmbfoodware.eventbrite.com
On October 6, 2020, The City of Half Moon Bay adopted a Disposable Foodware Ordinance that repeals and replaces the existing Styrofoam ban (Chapter 7.30) with an ordinance that mirrors the County of San Mateo’s Disposable Food Service Ware Ordinance.
This Ordinance aims to regulate and reduce the amount of disposable foodware that is used and distributed in Half Moon Bay and to encourage the use of reusable alternatives.
The objectives of the Ordinance are to:
- Reduce waste by eliminating disposable foodware that is not reusable or compostable and through source reduction;
- Improve the health and safety of community members; and
- Help keep our waterways clean and safe.
Key elements of the Ordinance include requiring:
- Most disposable foodware to be non-plastic and compostable;
- Larger disposable foodware to have little/no harmful fluorinated chemicals; and
- Regulated distribution of disposable foodware accessories.
Half Moon Bay's Ordinance differs from the County's model ordinance in the following ways:
- Foodware Accessories may only be distributed at the request of the consumer;
- Reusable Foodware shall be provided whenever practicable; and
- Enforcement will begin on July, 9 2021.
Buying Guide and other resources for businesses
Free technical assistance will be available for businesses that need assistance during the transition. Questions and technical assistance are available by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (888-442-2666).
An informational session was held by City staff on Wednesday July 1, 2020 via Zoom.