In 2019, 36% of Half Moon Bay’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions were generated from natural gas and propane-powered energy use in buildings. To help curb these emissions, work toward a cleaner environment, and assist the State in reaching SB32 goals, the City adopted a Building Electrification Ordinance on February 15, 2022 that:
- Requires all new building construction to be electric-only – no gas or propane in new construction
- Restricts any existing all-electric residential building from adding gas or propane
- Requires Fuel Gas lines are capped/decommissioned in existing buildings by 2045
- The Switch Is On: Learn more about the benefits of switching to electric appliances, search incentives/programs, and find a contractor.
- BayREN Single Family Homeowners: Keep your home safe and comfortable with home energy improvements — and save a bundle on home energy bills with BayREN’s Home+ rebates.
- BayREN Home Energy Advisor: Advisors offer free, unbiased advice that will walk you through BayREN rebates and help you find a participating contractor - including reviewing their bids for you
- Home Energy Score: Instead of making guesses about your home, find out what it really needs when an independent and professional assessor conducts a Home Energy Score (HES) for you.
- Rewiring America IRA Calculator: Get an estimate and more information on which rebates and tax credits from the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) you may qualify for.
- Clean Energy for All: Find Federal tax credits for rooftop solar, electric appliances, and more.
- Peninsula Clean Energy Zero Percent Loans: Loans to help customers install electric water heaters, heating and A/C, and energy efficiency upgrades that reduce carbon emissions and energy use in the home. The loans are zero percent (0%) interest with no money-down for a term of up to 10 years.
- Peninsula Clean Energy Home Upgrade Program: Provides income-qualified homeowners with home repairs and energy efficiency upgrades at no cost.
- Watt Diet Calculator: Avoid electric panel upgrades by selecting efficient products and using load sharing devices with this tool.
- PG&E's Guide to Home Electrification (PDF): Learn more about programs and resources available for home electrification.
- BayREN Business: Save money on your next energy upgrade project with BayREN Business FLEXmarket. Incentives are available for energy efficient HVAC, refrigeration, LED lighting, water heating, envelope and more at small and medium businesses. Reduce energy use and improve air quality and comfort at your business.
- BayREN Multifamily Property Owners: Technical assistance, rebates, and no-cost financing to upgrade your building’s energy and water efficiency.
All Building Types
- AllElectricDesign.Org: Free technical assistance to architects, builders, developers, design engineers, contractors, and consultants provided by Peninsula Clean Energy to learn about all-electric design technologies and EV infrastructure.
Electricity Power Mix
97% of electricity users in Half Moon Bay are signed up to receive energy from Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE), who provides 100% clean energy for their EcoPlus service and 100% renewable energy for their ECO100 service. Learn more about PCE's power mix on PCE's website.
The remaining 3% of electricity users in Half Moon Bay receive their energy through Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E). In 2021, PG&E customers received 93% of their power from GHG-free resources such as renewables, nuclear, and large hydroelectric power and 7% was powered by natural gas. More information on PG&E's power mix is available on PG&E's website.